Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Amen




The Aliens
you may not believe it
but there are people
who go through life with
very little
friction or
distress.
they dress well, eat
well, sleep well.
they are contented with
their family
life.
they have moments of
grief
but all in all
they are undisturbed
and often feel
very good.
and when they die
it is an easy
death, usually in their
sleep.
you may not believe
it
but such people do
exist.
but I am not one of
them.
oh no, I am not one
of them,
I am not even near
to being
one of
them
but they are
there
and I am
here.
-Charles Bukowski

I came across this poem this morning. Once of those chance to run across moments when you know the poem had been just waiting for you to flip the page so it could burst forth and splash like a wave into your soul. I've been thinking about eating mangos and playing with fire recently. It seems they are two of my favorite things, though sometimes I try to deny it and choose a half ripe peach and a barely lit coal to dis-satisfy my wants. 

SheBear sent me an article this week, Mutiny of the Soul by Charles Einstein. To put it much to simply he writes about our souls rebelling to the state of the world as it is now. It is about not accepting what we have been presented as a "good enough" life. He writes, "Trust your own urge to withdraw even when a million messages are telling you, 'The world is fine, what's wrong with you? Get with the program.' Trust your innate belief that you are here on earth for something magnificent, even when a thousand disappointments have told you you are ordinary. Trust your idealism, buried in your eternal child's heart, that says that a far more beautiful world than this is possible. Trust your impatience that says "good enough" is not good enough. Do not label your noble refusal to participate as laziness and do not medicalize it as an illness."

And what I have to say to him, and to Charles Bukowski is:

It is not that I do not love my amazing life, it is just that I can not move forward quietly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment